When were in Mammoth last weekend, a cozy sweet treat felt just right. However, since we are trying to eat healthfully this month, I had to come up with a twist on the usual pancakes. These carrot cake pancakes have no added sugar. The sweetness comes only from the carrots and whatever kind of yogurt you put on top. If you wish to follow the notes, they can also be vegan.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (gluten free flour works well here, too)
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
2 tablespoons oil(I used coconut)
1 cup almond milk(or cow’s milk, if you prefer)
2 eggs(or 1/4 non dairy yogurt, if you prefer)
3/4 cup shredded carrots
- Set a lightly greased griddle on the stove over medium heat.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix well.
- Add oil, milk, eggs to bowl and mix well.
- Gently fold in carrots to batter.
- Place approximately 1/4 cup of batter on griddle to make each pancake.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes then flip pancake and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Top with yogurts and walnuts or pecans.
We used apricot non-dairy yogurt, toasted pecans, cashews, and cranberries in the photo.